Periwinkle with just the mainsail set, rigged as a standing lug rather than a balance lug with mizzen. Video Paul Hernes and John Schrapnel
Periwinkle has a hull-form and construction which is similar to that of Phoenix III. However, she is a significantly larger boat with principal dimensions of 17′ 2″ x 5′ 2″ x 7″.
The plans offer two different rigs – a Cat-ketch (Periauger) with the main and mizzen both being balance lugsails, and a Gaff-headed Cat rig which can set a small flying jib. All rigs are free-standing (no stays).
Although Periwinkle is similar to Phoenix III, her hull is designed to be faster, and she needs to be sailed with understanding – keep her flat and move weight aft as the wind increases. Her bow is long and fine to slice through a steep chop, and her aft sections are wider and flatter than those of her smaller sister.
- Designed to be sailed, rowed, or powered by a small outboard
- Lightweight Glued-Lapstrake construction (Clinker Plywood)
- Built-in buoyancy tanks
- Pivoting centreboard and rudder
- Rig stows within length of boat for trailering
Plans package includes
- 32 sheets of A3 sized drawings
- Oar Patterns
- Comprehensive 54-page instruction manual with sketches and illustrations
- Choice of three different rig options
- Option of Metric or Imperial dimensions
Price $185 Australian, including postage and packing
PDF Download copy available for $170 Australian
Overseas customers may prefer to purchase from Duckworks